Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Good bugs, Bad bugs

A quick walk in to the garden and there was a swarm of these ugly black and red bugs all over the greenhouse, the raised beds, in the lettuce bed -- just everywhere. I'm talking hundreds upon hundreds of these little suckers:
 

Creepy little monsters, aren't they?
Ok, so they're not so big -- and not so bad, either. In fact.... I was ecstatic to find them. They are lady bug larvae and they can be some of the most voracious  eaters of aphids around. If you see them in your yard - CELEBRATE.
 On the other hand, if you see these little bastages (below) prepare to kill.
I used to be squeamish about killing bugs with my bare hands.
I no longer have that problem; I squish these evil cucumber/melon killers with my bare fingers.... they are pure evil incarnate -- they carry bacteria that kills/wilts your melons, cucumbers, zucchini, squash, etc. so when they bite into the vines, the bacteria spreads the wilt in both directions, out to the fruit and back to the root. 

What ever was growing.... will die. 


DH and I killed about 30 just yesterday on my campanula. They are apparently mating.

What a way to go.... 




2 comments:

Apolo said...

I really delighted to find this internet site on bing, just what I was searching for too saved to web. kansas bed bugs

Ellis Ellison said...

This is not a garentee, bed bugs get into the matress and it is nearly imposible to get them out. You may have not choice but to through out those matresses. Your mom may want to wear some DEET to bed until the problem is resolved. And you can use bed bugs control services in bc. Check out:exopest.ca